The domainechâteau de Montdomaine
Welcome to Montdomaine. It’s here that we share our passion for wine, in harmony with nature, sheltered by a limestone hillside and surrounded by lush woodland.
Listening to natural cycles
Discover our wines, the product of our precious terroirs.
2018Touraine - Amboise
- Tasting notesRuby in colour, this wine has lovely forest fruits, plums and a hint of cherry on the palate. With a touch of spice and supple tannins it’s a charming example of Malbec from the Loire.
- Method of productionFermentation in oak barrels of 3500 liters using indigenous yeasts.
- Food pairingsLighter in style than the Artiste, it goes perfectly with long slow cooked dishes, spicy food and soft cow’s and goat’s milk cheeses.
2018La Ballade à la Lune
- Tasting notesRich and golden in colour, this sweet Chenin Blanc has a beautifully perfumed nose with aromas of dried apricots and a touch of sweet almond. The beauty of Chenin is its wonderful acidity and this wine is no exception. A lovely freshness leaves the palate clean and refreshed.
- Method of productionManual harvest. Fermentation in oak barrels of 500 liters. using indigenous yeasts.
- Food pairingsWonderful with foie gras and fruit tarts such as the classic apple tart tatin from the Loire valley or an apricot and almond tart. It’s also lovely served with blue cheese – the combination of sweet and salty is sublime.
- Tasting notesWith a little more bottle age than the 2018 this Malbec is tasting wonderful now. A deep plum hue leads to delightful aromas of ripe dark fruits and spices that follow through on the palate. Rich and with lovely concentration it has velvety tannins and lovely balance.
- Method of productionFermentation in oak barrels of 3500 liters using indigenous yeasts followed by aging for one year before bottling.
- Food pairingsDelicious with confit of duck, steak with a peppercorn sauce or paëlla with chorizo.
Château de MontdomaineTHE VINEYARDS
With its 17 hectares (42 acres) of Chenin Blanc, Cabernet Franc, Gamay, Chardonnay and Malbec in AOP Vouvray, Touraine-Amboise and Touraine, Château de Montdomaine invites you to discover its wines, made naturally and each one reflecting its terroir.
DiversityOur grape varieties
Chenin Blanc ( white )
The flagship grape variety of the Loire valley. Chenin produces structured white wines with strong ageing potential.
Cabernet Franc ( red )
Recognisable for its fine tannins and raspberry, forest fruit character.
Gamay ( red )
A grape that produces light, fruity drinkable wines. Generally drunk young.
Chardonnay ( white )
Most Chardonnay in the Loire goes into fine sparkling wine where it produces dried fruit and brioche notes. Our still Chardonnay is rather different – elegant and citrussy with creamy notes.
Malbec ( red )
The only red grape variety permitted in the Touraine-Amboise appellation. Malbec produces wines of intense colour, bold tannins with the capacity to age beautifully.
Frederic PlouThe man and the wines
Frédéric Plou works his vineyards using a traditional approach gleaned from growing up immersed in the business of growing vines and making wine with his father and grandfather. He respects the natural cycles of the earth – a given if you want to make grapes that will produce quality wine. Working the soils, pruning, leaf thinning and shoot removal are just some of the techniques that allow him to ensure grape quality while at the same time adapting to the specific needs of each vintage year. Once the grapes are brought in, the wines are made and aged in limestone caves on the estate. The fermentation is just the beginning. The delicate transformation of grapes to wine followed by Frédéric every day – tasting, listening, reacting and analysing so that each wine can reveal its true potential.
RESPECTING NATURE FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS Frederic Plou
Meeting & TastingCOME AND SEE US
We’re proud of our work and love to share our wine and favourite stories with you.
Visit on appointment only
There is more philosophy in a bottle of wine than any book Louis Pasteur